The first two Franciscan Brothers to respond to the invitation of the bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Brooklyn arrived on May 31, 1858 and received hospitality from the Christian Brothers of St. James on Pearl Street. Shortly thereafter, three more Brothers arrived and they purchased a house on Baltic St. where they began an Academy for boys. In 1860, they acquired adjacent property on Butler St., which was to become the community’s Motherhouse for over a century. The Academy eventually became St. Francis Prep and St. Francis College. By the end of their first decade, the Brothers were also staffing 7 parish schools in Brooklyn.