Brother Alphonsus Moroney, O.S.F.
A native of Limerick, was admitted to St. Francis Monastery in January 1870. He received the Habit on January 6, 1871 and was admitted to profession on January 6, 1872. For some years he taught in our Brooklyn schools, until in March 1880, responding to the appeal of the late Archbishop Ireland of St. Paul, Minnesota, he and a few other Brothers volunteered to conduct the Catholic Industrial School at Clontarf, Minnesota. However, adverse conditions forced the Brothers to relinquish their missionary labors and they returned to Brooklyn in 1882. Thereafter, Brother Alphonsus taught in many of our parochial schools until shortly before his death on February 9, 1924.